Wurlitzer 1015 OMT CD problem - cd does not play
r***@my-deja.com
2006-07-24 16:43:00 UTC
Any assistance will be appreciated. Sorry for long post, but I do not
want to waste anyone's time by only giving partial information, so I am
including all troubleshooting efforts taken thus far (and their
results).

Model: Wurlitzer 1015 OMT CD, 1999 manufactured, (I84/F91), with CD PRO
unit. CD PRO codes reveal: "0140" for version number of CD control
unit; "0607" for date of release, "38" CD PRO verison number.

Problem: cd does not play, returns to carriage after ~ 1 minute. Juke
loads CD, cd tries to spin, maybe a few times clockwise, a few times
counter-clockwise, eventually juke ejects CD unplayed. While the CD is
on the spindle, the reject button will NOT reject the CD.

Troubleshooting thus far:
1) while the CD is on the spindle, accessing the error code at the CD
PRO unit reveals USUALLY "10" (Radial error) or a small number of times
"07" (subcode error no valid subcode).

2) I worked through the "Mode 9" Test functions of the CD-PRO unit. I
do not have an infrared tester, so I cannot determine whether the laser
is functioning. The other tests are as follows: 92 & 93 (focus off,
focus on) seem normal. 98 (sledge back/forward) seems fine.
94,95,96,97 are the ones that show odd behavior as far as I can
determine. It is hard to describe the behavior, because it seems to
vary depending on whether I access 97 or not.

For example, as I was working thru the functions sequentially the 1st
time, 94 and 95 (motor off, on) seemed to work fairly well, but
occasionally the motor would spin backwards for no apparent reason.
The remaining time the motor seemed to spin at a normal speed
clockwise.

But, once I accessed 97 (Radial Servo On), I hear clicking noises, the
turntable will spin random forward/backward directions, one time it
spun very high-speed backwards, etc. Working between 97 thru 94 makes
the turntable spin erraticly, without any pattern, and usually clicking
noises at the 97 Servo test.

Obviously, this is consistent with CD-PRO error code "10" (Radial
error).

In light of this information, what are my options to repair? I have a
extensive experience with vintage jukebox (tube-type) repairs &
restorations, tube amp repairs, televisions, etc... so I would prefer
to self-repair the unit (assuming the unit is reasonably repairable),
but need guidance in this matter. I have no experience working with CD
jukeboxes or computer-based units, so suggestions as to which
component(s) are likely to be faulty are certainly appreciated.
Thoughts as to $$ to replace faulty unit, or retail $ to repair unit,
could be useful as a last resort.

regards,
bob
(please reply to group so that everyone can benefit)
flats
2006-07-24 19:39:56 UTC
Right off hand, without seeing it, but from what you describe, I would
be changing the cd player.

Flats
John Robertson
2006-07-25 04:49:03 UTC
Check my note on IR detector down a little bit...
Post by r***@my-deja.com
Hi,
[...]
Most digital cameras are sensitive to Infra-Red - so you DO have an
Infrared indicator. IR shows up as a white light on my camera...
Post by r***@my-deja.com
[...]
Sounds like a bad player. I sell replacements for $300US (shipping
included to USA/Canada) by the way...I don't think anyone fixes those
players, but check with Daisy-Laser - the worldwide distributor of the
Philips players.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
just flip out."
r***@my-deja.com
2006-07-25 18:12:58 UTC
Thanks for the feedback.

Here is a little more information, just in case this changes the scenerio.
Last night the juke decided to play Track 1 of ONE cd. Took several efforts
to start playing it, but it would play it, then eject it properly at end of
song. (Again, though, the cancel switch would not cancel the play, even
when the track was playing properly. All it would do was mute the amp, not
eject the CD). Played this track at least 5 times before I quit for the
night. Would not play another other tracks or cds.

I assume that if I buy a $300 replacement, and the problem turns out to be
elsewhere, that I eat the $300 as a total loss? In other words, is there a
reliable way to MAKE SURE that this is the problem before spending $300
(which is not a trivial expense)?

Two other questions:
1) A vendor-tech-longtime-friend-of-mine, who I talked with last evening,
tells me that the CD unit must be the same series as the Decoder board, or
else you will get similar behavior, because you cannot mix-and-match the CD
unit with previous (or newer) decoder boards. They will interface but not
work. Considering that I do not know the previous repair history of this
juke, could this be an issue? (My friend mostly has experience with NSM's).

2) Another fellow suggested the following advice, and I was wondering
whether you guys think that it will work:
"...remove the PCB. Look at the large nylon gear that powers the sled. If
there is a metal retaining clip pushing on the gear, remove as much tension
as possible (bend it). Also check the tension clip on the drive motor gear,
that it mates to--remove as much tension as possible, without allowing the
gear to slide off the motor. Give that a try before replacing the
player--it works about 60% of the time."
John :-#)#
flats
2006-07-25 18:29:26 UTC
Where are you located?
r***@my-deja.com
2006-07-25 18:34:23 UTC
Hi flats,

I see you are in Salt Lake City, UT. I am on the other side of the country
(PA).

"flats" wrote in message...
Where are you located?
flats
2006-07-25 18:44:44 UTC
The incompatability between the new players and decoder boards is
resolved by an IC, plug in, not solder in, that always is included with
the new players that we get. (I work for the Wurlitzer distributor out
here). However, the decoder board could also be the source of your
problem. You did clean the laser pickup well, right?
r***@my-deja.com
2006-07-26 22:34:31 UTC
Hi flats (and everyone...),

Thanks for the replies.
I cleaned the laser.
Right now, my dilemma is determining whether the CD unit is bad, or the
decoder board. My vendor-buddy was telling me that he just replaced a bad
decoder board on an NSM and it was acting the same way. But it seems as
though the most likely problem is the CD unit itself.

Any thoughts as to why the Play Cancel button on the back of the juke does
NOT cancel the CD when it is trying to play? Even when I managed to get
that 1 track playing the other evening, the Cancel button still would not
work. (Cancel does not work from the remote, either).

bob
John Robertson
2006-07-27 04:56:05 UTC
Post by flats
However, the decoder board could also be the source of your
problem. You did clean the laser pickup well, right?
Cancel doesn't work because the SC&C is waiting for a valid TOC (Table
Of Contents) signal from the player. Without that it sits in a loop for
X number of cycles before it gives up and returns the CD to try the
next one.

I don't know of an easy test to determine if it is the player or the
controller that is at fault. I suspect you will have to mail both off
to a dealer near you - we test/service these as well but are located in
Canada and you need to contact us first for shipping instructions (to
avoid customs costs).

Power off/on will reject the CD.

John :-#)#
just flip out."
DRebber
2006-07-31 20:14:06 UTC
Bob,
If you are in the central US or Texas, contact me offline and I'll se
what we can do to resolve your problem

--
DRebber